To strengthen the programming team, we are looking for a full-time Programmer/ Project Assistant (f/m/x)
Ancienne Belgique is a vibrant music temple in the heart of Brussels. With around 400 concerts and more than 300,000 visitors per year, AB is one of the top European concert venues. All this is managed by a motivated and extremely professional team of some 60 employees.
Primarily, together with the artistic team, you take care of the daily programming in house. You program without blinkers. Homegrown top acts go hand in hand with international class acts. Let’s say, from Charlotte Adigéry via Merol to Inhaler. From Fatoumata Diawara via Stormzy to Kommil Foo.
In doing so, you program across genres and languages. You deepen the line of programming and know how to connect contemporary tastemakers to the canon of pop music. Obviously, from a list of names – Spinal Tap/Nia Archives/Phoebe Buffay & The Hairballs – you focus on the real talent. What’s more, you detect musical gaps and fill them. At the same time, you have a nose for emerging young talent, that you then take under your wing and situate on a nice path of development.
Secondly, you support the projects outlined in the new policy plan. So, amongst other things, you work on the development of the Liveurope network, our pan-European network that unites 22 European venues. As a part of our musical good neighbourliness, you also work together with other Brussels concert venues and nestle into existing (city)festivals (from Brussels Jazz Weekend to Klara Festival). You fully support the alliance with workplace Volta by taking their Artists In Residence under your wing too. Finally, your curiosity for musical stories results in concert evenings that are nicely framed by a public Q&A or a musical documentary.
Behind all this – but equally essential – you manage the budgets allocated to you with all due care.
- You have both a broad musical knowledge of (inter)national pop music and a feel for what is going on in the musical communities of Brussels.
- You know how to assess an artist’s (future) potential.
- You have a feel for the desires and needs of the Belgian concert audience.
- You have a thorough knowledge of the structure of the Belgian musical landscape: agencies, record companies, managers,…
- You are familiar with the administrative aspect of programming: costings, withholding taxes on fees for foreign artists, VAT regulations,...
- You have experience with project management. You find it a challenge to work out a project from A to Z, to warm up your colleagues to the concept and to manage them.
- You are a driven networker, both internationally and on the local scene.
- You communicate openly and positively, and you can express yourself easily in Dutch, French and English.
- You work proactively and can organise your work independently, but you are equally a team player.
- You are assertive and have a convincing personality.
- You like to work result-oriented, but also process- and project-based.
- You are prepared to regularly work evenings and weekends and are motivated to prospect both at home and abroad.
- A fulltime contract of permanent employment.
- Remuneration according to the salary scale of PC 304.
- Reimbursement of travel on public transport between home and work, meal vouchers, group- and hospitalisation insurance, 13th month , year-end bonus and a number of extra-legal benefits.
- Ample training opportunities.
- A challenging job, no Spotify-generated music and fantastic colleagues.
Send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com before Friday 20 January 2023.
The first round of interviews will take place in the first week of February 2023.
AB is open to any candidate. Selection occurs on the basis of competence, regardless of gender, religion, skin colour, nationality, sexual preference or handicap. We strive for an inclusive operation that reflects the reality of Brussels: in the audience, on stage, and within the AB team.
AB is a forerunner in terms of ecology and sustainability within the cultural sector. Environmental considerations form an essential part of all its decisions.