Slowly but surely, there is talk of a ‘relaxing of the corona measures’. Maybe you’re already back at work? We’re not yet, unfortunately, our doors remain closed for the moment. So we’re taking the time to binge-watch the very latest series and subject them to quality control. Here you have a few online culture tips from our most diligent AB employees!
Ward Cannaerts – Marketing & Communication Manager
- Monos: Colombian masterpiece by Alejandro Landres. A contemporary 'Lord of the Flies', recorded at 4,000 metres above sea level, in the Colombian jungle.
- Questlove Supreme: podcast, a recent tip from Rik De Bruycker of Kratkruipers, Studio Brussel, Bruzz and DJ Masala. Questlove and his panel converse with musicians and actors. A feast for the ears!
- 'The First Time with Tony Allen' (BBC6): A while ago, Matt Everitt of BBC6 spoke with Tony Allen about his most important influences. A fine tribute to his legendary drummer and pioneer of the afrobeat. Listen here.
- 'Fetch the Bolt Cutters': the new album by Fiona Apple.
- Brussels city walks: UiTinBrussel, together with Brukselbinnenstebuiten, has created a number of walks and exploratory tours. Ideal for exploring your city at an easy walking pace. Check it out here.
Anysa Grammenoudis - Ticketing & Customer Service
- Fleabag season 1 & 2 on Amazon Prime (first month free, after that: 3 euro). Everything you could ever want in a series. There’s filth, drama, humour and absurdity. Also: the main character is a woman. Won 4 Emmy’s last year, including for Best Comedy Series, Best Directing, Best Writing, & Best Lead Actress in a Comedy series. And 2 nominations for Best Supporting Actress.
Karolien Van Humbeeck – Concert Promotion
- Iggy Confidential: Iggy Pop serves up another sonic cocktail to kick the weekend off. Iggy Pop’s deep voice and eclectic music choices on BBC Radio 6, and on April 3 the central guest was Kim Gordon. Music by the likes of The Fall, PJ Harvey, Alice Coltrane, .
Kurt Overbergh – Artistiek Directeur
- Listen: Various Artists – Freedom For The Stallion: American Soul Music 1952-1976. Recently released but already impossible to find (unless you want to bid 80 euro for it): this superb torch soul collector that splits one’s soul in two. Fortunately, a playlist of the same name on Spotify offers solace. Even just that opening track by Sam Cooke (‘Nobody Knows The Trouble I’m In’), ‘I’m Hurted’ by Marnie Perry and Dee Clark’s ‘Blues Get Off My Shoulder’ (that falsetto!) can go onto endless repeat.
- Watch: Look around you. While you still can. Now that time is standing still.
Max Gadeyne – Communication Officer
- Podcast 'Desert Island Discs' (BBC). This BBC radio show has been running since 1942 (!) and can now also be heard as a podcast. The outline is simple: Each guest chooses eight tracks, a book and a luxury that they would take along to a deserted island.
- Andrew Weatherall (RIP): to mark the passing of ‘The Guv’nor’, a dive into his discography. An immense influence on the UK Acid House scene and remained relevant until his death too. An institution!
- NTS (UK) / KIOSK (BXL): top shelf internet radios NTS and KIOSK remain loyal to their programming and engage their resident DJs to play from out of their living rooms. Top tip!
- The Last Dance (Netflix). About Michael Jordan and what went on behind the scenes at The Chicago Bulls in the ’90s. A great insight and further confirmation that MJ was one of the greatest ever. CHA-RIS-MA!
- Succesion (HBO). About a family that owns a world-wide media conglomerate. In the first season, the children fight for power over the business, while the health of father and family patriarch Logan Roy is less than desirable.
- Take a walk. Amazingly underrated.
Mich Leemans – Concert Promoter
Following the release of their highly-praised album Thought Of A Dot As It Travels A Surface (in 2018, on Shelter Press), CV & JAB (Christina Vantzou & John Also Bennett) held a 3-day residency in the AB Salon (in Sept ’18). During these three days, they recorded a new album that has now been released. You can purchase it digitally via their Bandcamp page and there is also a limited edition tape available.
Peter Deckers - Video Savant
- Chernobyl! Watch the series on VRT Nu.