There are about 700 people sleeping on the streets in the Brussels Capital Region. Straatverplegers tackles the problem by following up patients from the street to their accommodation, training professional social workers, and by creating means of spreading information. AB is supporting the organisation and collecting money to make an end to the homelessness in Brussels.
Straatverplegers has already helped 100 long-term homeless people find a place to live again since 2010. A hundred people that none thought would ever get off the streets. But it is possible, with the right approach and the necessary patience. This is how the organization shows that it is possible for all homeless people to leave the street.
Emilie Meessen from Straatverplegers tells us: “Our patients have mostly been living on the street for quite a while, that’s where our enthusiastic nurses and social workers attend to them. These people are extremely vulnerable, their hygiene has been neglected and their health is undermined. We give them the necessary care, motivate them and get them back in touch with the existing medical and social facilities.”
“Establishing a safe existence can only happen when you have a home. With our programs Housing First/Fast, we simultaneously search for a permanent and appropriate home for our patients, where they can live independently and yet be able to count on further assistance to preventing them landing back on the street again.”
What can you do to support this fantastic organisation?
- You can contribute an amount of your choosing when purchasing tickets online, this chosen amount goes entirely to Straatverplegers vzw.
- During concerts you can deposit notes and coins in the collection boxes to be found on the bars in AB Café/Resto and in AB itself.
- Donate your cup deposit! Per cup that is donated during the concerts, ten cents is donated to the charity.
- Also during our summer festivals Boterhammen In Het Park and Feeërieën (from 27 to 31 August), you can also donate your cup deposit to support this good cause or leave a donation in the collection boxes at the festival location.
- What’s more, on the festival site of Boterhammen In Het Park you can buy a Broodje Plezier from Président for only €3. Thanks to Président and AB, the funds raised from these sales will all go to the organization Straatverplegers vzw.
More information about the organisation can be found on their website.
Together we can put an end to homelessness, together we work on #ABetterworld.