Church Of Sound lands in Brussels and brings jazz to a place of worship!
On 6/11 you can head to Kahil El'Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble + Songbook of John Coltrane & Pharoah Sanders in De Brigittines (Sold out - INFO).
But, actually, what is CHURCH OF SOUND? Read further because there are at least 10 things you didn’t know about this concept yet!
- Church Of Sound has blown over from East London.
- In London the crème de la crème of the contemporary jazz scene gets together every month in the renowned St. James the Great Church.
- This is the first time the concept takes place outside of London – in Brussels! – and AB is organising it.
- The ensemble plays in the middle of the church and is encircled by the audience.
- The focus is always on a songbook by a particular jazz legend.
- Avant garde jazz saxophonist Albert Ayler linked jazz with The Holy Trinity: ‘John Coltrane was The Father, Pharoah Sanders was The Son, I am The Holy Ghost’. So it is no coincidence then that in De Brigittines the focus will be the songbook of John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders.
- AB organised a wonderful concert by Mount Erie at this location before.
- The London organisers of Church Of Sound were already familiar with De Brigittines!
The English press embraces The Church Of Sound with wild enthusiasm!
The Christian name Brigitte is of Celtic origin and means “high, strong, powerful”, exactly what we are expecting of this concert!